Tuesday, 19 May 2026

US Launches Priority Visa System for 2026 World Cup Ticket Holders

Published: Friday, January 23, 2026
US Launches Priority Visa System for 2026 World Cup Ticket Holders
Top Stories

World Cup 2026 ticket holders can now book priority visa appointments to travel to the United States following the launch of the new FIFA Prioritised Appointment Scheduling System, known as FIFA Pass. However, questions remain over whether fans from all qualifying nations will ultimately be allowed entry.

The program, announced in November by US President Donald Trump, became operational on Tuesday. It was introduced partly to address concerns that citizens of certain countries whose teams have qualified might face delays securing visa appointments before the tournament.

According to the US State Department, receiving a FIFA Pass appointment does not guarantee visa approval. All applicants will still be required to undergo comprehensive security screening and vetting before any travel authorization is granted.

Citizens of countries covered by the US Visa Waiver Program, including most of Europe, the United Kingdom, Japan, and Australia, can travel to the US for up to 90 days without a visa and therefore do not need to use the FIFA Pass system. Instead, they must obtain electronic clearance through the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA).

A senior State Department official said the new scheduling system would significantly reduce waiting times, noting that applicants in more than 80 percent of participating countries should be able to secure an appointment within 60 days.

“The appointment allows fans to demonstrate eligibility for a visa and confirm their intent to abide by US laws, including departing after the tournament,” the official said. “The safety of Americans and the integrity of our borders remain our top priorities.”

What about countries under the visa suspension?

Football supporters from nations affected by the recent suspension of immigrant visa processing will still be able to apply for temporary visitor visas for the World Cup.

Washington announced last week that it is halting the issuance of immigrant visas from 75 countries, 15 of which have already qualified for the 2026 tournament, including five-time champions Brazil. Another seven nations from the list remain in contention for qualification.

The State Department clarified that the suspension applies only to the issuance of immigrant visas and does not extend to non-immigrant categories such as visas for tourists, athletes, family members, or accredited media representatives.

The 15 qualified nations under the suspension include Algeria, Brazil, Cape Verde, Colombia, Egypt, Ghana, Haiti, Iran, Ivory Coast, Jordan, Morocco, Senegal, Tunisia, Uruguay, and Uzbekistan.
Countries still competing for qualification include Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, DR Congo, Iraq, Jamaica, Kosovo, and North Macedonia.

What about countries under the travel ban?

The halt on immigrant visa processing from the 75 countries officially took effect on January 21, following the expansion of the travel ban introduced earlier this month. The order bars nationals from affected states from entering the United States altogether.

Among those impacted are Haiti and Iran, both of which have qualified for the 2026 World Cup and remain under full entry restrictions. Ivory Coast and Senegal, also qualified, are subject to partial restrictions.

The State Department emphasized that a FIFA Pass appointment does not permit individuals who are otherwise ineligible to receive a visa, suggesting fans from those nations are unlikely to attend matches in the US.

However, exceptions to the travel ban remain in place for athletes, coaches, essential support staff, and immediate family members participating in official tournament activities. Spectators are not included in these exceptions and may still apply individually, though their visa eligibility remains subject to denial or entry inadmissibility.

The United States will host 78 of the 104 World Cup matches across 11 cities, with the final set to take place at MetLife Stadium in New Jersey.

Hamad International Increases Flights Amid Summer Travel Boom

Published: Monday, May 11, 2026
Hamad International Increases Flights Amid Summer Travel Boom
Top Stories

Hamad International Airport has announced an expansion of its flight operations in anticipation of heightened passenger demand during the upcoming summer travel period. The move comes as Qatar Airways continues to strengthen its worldwide route network.

Airport authorities stated that 26 partner airlines are currently operating services to and from Doha, contributing to the expected rise in travel activity over the coming months.

Passengers have been advised to contact their respective airlines directly for ticket reservations and the latest schedule updates. The airport also confirmed that all operational arrangements are being coordinated closely with aviation authorities and airline partners to maintain efficient and uninterrupted travel services during the peak season.

Travellers were further encouraged to visit the airport’s FAQ section for information regarding newly added airlines and updated operational guidance.

Source: Qatar Tribune

Kuwait Airport Ready to Resume Full Operations After Security Measures, Official Says

Published: Wednesday, May 06, 2026
Kuwait Airport Ready to Resume Full Operations After Security Measures, Official Says
Top Stories

Kuwait’s acting director general of civil aviation, Duaij Al-Otaibi, has said that Kuwait International Airport is secure and prepared to fully resume operations once clearance is granted by the relevant authorities.

Speaking to Kuwait News Agency on Monday, Al-Otaibi stressed that safeguarding passengers, personnel and infrastructure remains the primary concern guiding all operational decisions. He described the current security arrangements as precautionary steps aimed at maintaining high protection standards, acknowledging that they may cause some inconvenience to travellers.

He noted that the airport is gradually restoring activity levels to those seen before the recent Iranian aggression, with improvements underway in both performance and operational efficiency. Passenger flow is being carefully managed to ensure smooth movement from parking areas to terminals.

As part of temporary security protocols, boarding gates are not currently in use, with passengers transported to aircraft by bus. Authorities are reviewing the situation and may reinstate standard boarding procedures following further assessment.

Additional support has been introduced for elderly passengers and those with disabilities, including electric wheelchairs and improved access through elevators. Al-Otaibi added that the main terminal entrance is expected to reopen in the coming days after coordination with key bodies such as the Ministry of Interior and the General Fire Force.

He said the measures form part of a wider safety strategy, supported by weekly operational reviews to facilitate a phased return to normal services.

Al-Otaibi also revealed that the airport’s control tower—considered among the most advanced globally—was targeted during the recent attack, with damage recorded through audio and video documentation. The incident drew condemnation from the International Civil Aviation Organization. He added that radar and technical systems were quickly repaired through coordinated efforts and leadership support.

Senior officials, including His Highness Sheikh Ahmed Abdullah Al-Ahmed Al-Sabah, conducted on-site inspections to assess the damage and commended the level of preparedness and compliance with safety standards. The Civil Aviation Authority, led by Sheikh Hamoud Mubarak Al-Hamoud Al-Sabah, implemented emergency and security protocols in coordination with multiple agencies, reflecting a high level of institutional cooperation.

Al-Otaibi also acknowledged the role of Sheikh Abdullah Ali Abdullah Al-Salem Al-Sabah in overseeing readiness efforts, as well as the support of the General Authority of Civil Aviation for facilitating Kuwaiti airline operations through access to Saudi airports. He said such collaboration underscores the importance of Gulf cooperation in maintaining aviation continuity.

Highlighting Kuwait’s long-term ambitions, Al-Otaibi pointed to the country’s advanced infrastructure, including a modern third runway, an upgraded control tower and sophisticated air navigation systems, positioning it as a potential regional aviation hub. He also cited Kuwait’s strategic location and connectivity projects, including links to Mubarak Al-Kabeer Port, as key factors supporting its development as a logistics centre.

Looking ahead, he outlined plans to establish a dedicated aviation academy to train national talent, noting the increasing participation of young Kuwaitis in the sector and the need to expand training programmes to meet future demand.

Despite ongoing regional tensions, Al-Otaibi said the security situation remains stable. He advised passengers to follow official guidance, avoid congestion, arrive at the airport at least three hours before departure and refrain from making unnecessary bookings that could disrupt operations.

Source: QCAA NEWS

Nigeria Sets Jet Fuel Price Limits to Stabilise Airline Operations

Published: Sunday, May 03, 2026
Nigeria Sets Jet Fuel Price Limits to Stabilise Airline Operations
Top Stories

Nigeria’s government has imposed limits on jet fuel prices and approved credit arrangements for airlines in an effort to prevent widespread flight disruptions linked to sharply rising fuel costs, according to an official document reviewed by Reuters.

The Nigerian Midstream and Downstream Petroleum Regulatory Authority (NMDPRA) set indicative retail price ranges for aviation fuel between 1,760 naira and 1,988 naira per litre in Lagos, and between 1,809 naira and 2,037 naira in Abuja. These benchmarks are based on pricing data from April 17 to April 23.

Despite the pricing framework, the regulator cautioned that volatility in global energy markets, including tensions involving the United States and Iran, as well as higher supplier costs, could still push prices upward.

Neither the NMDPRA nor the aviation ministry immediately responded to requests for comment.

The policy shift follows emergency discussions triggered by airline warnings that jet fuel prices had surged by more than 270%. Operators said the spike had forced fare increases and raised concerns over potential capacity reductions.

Last week, President Bola Tinubu approved a 30% relief measure on airline debts owed to aviation agencies. He also directed fuel suppliers, airlines, and regulators to agree on a “fair” pricing structure within 72 hours to avoid disruption across the aviation sector.

As part of the agreed measures, airlines will be granted a 30-day credit period for fuel purchases. The aviation ministry has also been tasked with mediating outstanding debt disputes between operators and petroleum marketers, according to the document.

A technical committee established by the NMDPRA recommended that fuel marketers supply airlines directly within the approved price band, a move intended to reduce costs and improve transparency in the supply chain.

The committee also called for engagement with Dangote Petroleum Refinery and Petrochemicals regarding recently increased premiums applied to international pricing benchmarks used for jet fuel.

Additional recommendations include stricter validation of fuel distributors operating in airport zones, which could reduce the number of authorised suppliers, as well as exploring the inclusion of jet fuel under Nigeria’s naira-for-crude programme to limit airlines’ exposure to foreign exchange fluctuations.

(Exchange rate used: $1 = 1,360.5 naira)

Source: ZAWYA

Dubai Introduces New Aviation Directive to Enhance Passenger Rights and Complaint Handling

Published: Sunday, May 03, 2026
Dubai Introduces New Aviation Directive to Enhance Passenger Rights and Complaint Handling
Top Stories

The Dubai Civil Aviation Authority (DCAA) has introduced a new Aviation Consumer Welfare Directive designed to enhance passenger rights and improve how complaints and disputes are managed within the emirate’s aviation sector.

The initiative establishes a structured regulatory system that defines the relationship between passengers, airlines, and licensed travel agencies. It also introduces formal mediation processes, giving the regulator a more active role in resolving conflicts and protecting consumer interests.

Under the new framework, passengers will have access to a clearer and more transparent process for lodging and monitoring complaints. The DCAA will act as an intermediary, facilitating communication between involved parties and overseeing resolution procedures. Authorities say the system is intended to strengthen accountability and build greater trust across the aviation ecosystem.

The directive applies to all passengers travelling through Dubai’s airports, as well as airlines and authorised travel agents operating in the emirate. By formalising operational and service expectations, the framework aims to reduce disputes and improve consistency in handling passenger concerns.

The DCAA will be responsible for implementing and supervising the system, including establishing regulatory standards, enabling mediation channels, and ensuring compliance among all stakeholders. The broader objective is to improve service quality and enhance the overall passenger experience across Dubai’s aviation sector.

Source: ZAWYA

Dubai Introduces New Directive to Enhance and Protect Passenger Rights

Published: Thursday, April 30, 2026
Dubai Introduces New Directive to Enhance and Protect Passenger Rights
Top Stories

The Dubai Civil Aviation Authority (DCAA) has introduced a new Aviation Consumer Welfare Directive designed to reinforce protections for airline passengers and improve how complaints and disputes are handled within Dubai’s aviation industry.

The directive sets out a unified regulatory structure defining the relationships between passengers, airlines, and licensed travel agents. It also introduces a formal mediation process intended to resolve disagreements more efficiently, reflecting a more proactive regulatory approach to consumer protection.

Under the new system, passengers will have access to a transparent mechanism for lodging complaints and tracking their progress. The DCAA will act as a facilitator between relevant parties, ensuring communication is streamlined and disputes are addressed through structured resolution channels. Authorities say the initiative is intended to strengthen trust and accountability across the aviation sector.

The framework covers all passengers travelling through Dubai’s airports, along with airlines and authorised travel agencies operating in the emirate. By formalising operational relationships, it aims to improve transparency and reduce friction in the handling of customer grievances.

The DCAA will oversee the implementation of the directive, including the establishment of regulatory standards, mediation processes, and compliance monitoring. The authority stated that the broader objective is to enhance service quality and improve the overall passenger experience across Dubai’s aviation network.

Source: ZAWYA