Tuesday, 19 May 2026

US Launches Priority Visa System for 2026 World Cup Ticket Holders

Published: Friday, January 23, 2026
US Launches Priority Visa System for 2026 World Cup Ticket Holders
Top Stories

World Cup 2026 ticket holders can now book priority visa appointments to travel to the United States following the launch of the new FIFA Prioritised Appointment Scheduling System, known as FIFA Pass. However, questions remain over whether fans from all qualifying nations will ultimately be allowed entry.

The program, announced in November by US President Donald Trump, became operational on Tuesday. It was introduced partly to address concerns that citizens of certain countries whose teams have qualified might face delays securing visa appointments before the tournament.

According to the US State Department, receiving a FIFA Pass appointment does not guarantee visa approval. All applicants will still be required to undergo comprehensive security screening and vetting before any travel authorization is granted.

Citizens of countries covered by the US Visa Waiver Program, including most of Europe, the United Kingdom, Japan, and Australia, can travel to the US for up to 90 days without a visa and therefore do not need to use the FIFA Pass system. Instead, they must obtain electronic clearance through the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA).

A senior State Department official said the new scheduling system would significantly reduce waiting times, noting that applicants in more than 80 percent of participating countries should be able to secure an appointment within 60 days.

“The appointment allows fans to demonstrate eligibility for a visa and confirm their intent to abide by US laws, including departing after the tournament,” the official said. “The safety of Americans and the integrity of our borders remain our top priorities.”

What about countries under the visa suspension?

Football supporters from nations affected by the recent suspension of immigrant visa processing will still be able to apply for temporary visitor visas for the World Cup.

Washington announced last week that it is halting the issuance of immigrant visas from 75 countries, 15 of which have already qualified for the 2026 tournament, including five-time champions Brazil. Another seven nations from the list remain in contention for qualification.

The State Department clarified that the suspension applies only to the issuance of immigrant visas and does not extend to non-immigrant categories such as visas for tourists, athletes, family members, or accredited media representatives.

The 15 qualified nations under the suspension include Algeria, Brazil, Cape Verde, Colombia, Egypt, Ghana, Haiti, Iran, Ivory Coast, Jordan, Morocco, Senegal, Tunisia, Uruguay, and Uzbekistan.
Countries still competing for qualification include Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, DR Congo, Iraq, Jamaica, Kosovo, and North Macedonia.

What about countries under the travel ban?

The halt on immigrant visa processing from the 75 countries officially took effect on January 21, following the expansion of the travel ban introduced earlier this month. The order bars nationals from affected states from entering the United States altogether.

Among those impacted are Haiti and Iran, both of which have qualified for the 2026 World Cup and remain under full entry restrictions. Ivory Coast and Senegal, also qualified, are subject to partial restrictions.

The State Department emphasized that a FIFA Pass appointment does not permit individuals who are otherwise ineligible to receive a visa, suggesting fans from those nations are unlikely to attend matches in the US.

However, exceptions to the travel ban remain in place for athletes, coaches, essential support staff, and immediate family members participating in official tournament activities. Spectators are not included in these exceptions and may still apply individually, though their visa eligibility remains subject to denial or entry inadmissibility.

The United States will host 78 of the 104 World Cup matches across 11 cities, with the final set to take place at MetLife Stadium in New Jersey.

Saudi Aviation Growth Puts Spotlight on Pilot Training Capacity Challenges

Published: Monday, April 13, 2026
Saudi Aviation Growth Puts Spotlight on Pilot Training Capacity Challenges
Top Stories

Saudi Arabia’s aviation industry is moving into a new growth cycle as airlines expand their fleets and strengthen regional and international connectivity, supported largely by new narrowbody aircraft orders.

This rapid expansion is expected to significantly increase the need for trained pilots across the region. Industry projections from the Boeing Pilot and Technician Outlook estimate that the Middle East will require more than 58,000 new pilots over the next 20 years as carriers scale up operations and route networks.

Saudi Arabia is expected to account for a large portion of that demand, reflecting its ongoing investment in aviation development and airline capacity growth.

The pressure is not limited to the region. Global forecasts show similar trends across key markets. CAE’s Aviation Talent Forecast suggests North America could need over 130,000 pilots by 2032, while the Asia-Pacific region may face a shortfall of more than 250,000 pilots.

Aviation experts say this simultaneous expansion is placing significant strain on global training systems and simulator capacity.

Martynas Mazeika, Chief Growth Officer at BAA Training, part of Avia Solutions Group, said the pace of airline expansion is reshaping training requirements. He noted that as new aircraft enter service each year, demand for qualified pilots is rising in parallel, requiring airlines to rely on scalable training partnerships and international resources.

He added that access to simulator capacity and flexible training programs is becoming increasingly important for airlines managing long-term fleet growth.

Based on Boeing’s estimates and standard requirements of around 200 flight hours per pilot, training more than 58,000 pilots in the Middle East would require roughly 11.6 million flight training hours.

By comparison, a typical flight academy operating around ten training aircraft generates only about 12,000 to 15,000 hours annually, underscoring the scale of capacity expansion needed to meet demand.

Simulator training presents a similar challenge. Preparing pilots would require approximately 1.1 million hours on full flight simulators. With each simulator typically delivering 5,000 to 6,000 training hours per year, industry capacity will need to expand significantly.

Mazeika said fleet expansion is not limited to the Middle East, pointing out that airlines in North America, India, and Southeast Asia are also increasing aircraft orders. He stressed that access to global training infrastructure is becoming a key factor in supporting airline growth strategies.

As Saudi carriers continue to grow their narrowbody fleets, demand is expected to rise for type rating and recurrent training, which prepare pilots for new aircraft and maintain operational standards as networks expand.

BAA Training currently provides type rating, recurrent training, and simulator-based programs through its global network of training centres and partners.

With aviation expansion accelerating across Saudi Arabia and the wider Middle East, industry stakeholders say that scalable training systems and international cooperation will be essential to keep pilot supply aligned with fleet growth.

Source: ZAWYA

Hajj Ministry: Only Hajj Visa Valid for Pilgrimage, Authorities Clarify Official Rules

Published: Monday, April 13, 2026
Hajj Ministry: Only Hajj Visa Valid for Pilgrimage, Authorities Clarify Official Rules
Top Stories

The Ministry of Hajj and Umrah has reiterated that international pilgrims must obtain a Hajj visa specifically issued for the pilgrimage. Officials stressed that entry for Hajj will not be allowed under any other visa category, including visit, transit, Umrah, or tourist visas.

For citizens and residents inside the Kingdom, Hajj arrangements are processed through the Nusuk, following completion of the official reservation procedures.

The ministry further stated that all bookings must be made strictly through approved and authorized platforms. It cautioned pilgrims against engaging with unofficial agents or unverified channels when arranging Hajj participation.

Source: Saudi Gazette

Saudi Tourism Introduces Hajj Penalties of Up to SR50,000 for Hospitality Violations

Published: Sunday, April 12, 2026
Saudi Tourism Introduces Hajj Penalties of Up to SR50,000 for Hospitality Violations
Top Stories

The Ministry of Tourism (Saudi Arabia) has announced a new regulatory framework detailing violations and penalties for hospitality providers operating in the holy cities of Makkah and Madinah during the Hajj season. The measures are designed to strengthen service quality for pilgrims and ensure consistent compliance across the sector.

According to the ministry, the Hajj season officially extends each year from the first day of Dhul Qadah until mid-Muharram. Under the updated rules, penalties will escalate for repeated violations, whether they occur before, during, or after the pilgrimage period.

If an offense committed during Hajj is a repeat of a previous violation, authorities will impose either the minimum fine (if it is higher than the earlier penalty) or double the previous amount if it is lower. Within the same season, any repeated breach will automatically result in doubled fines. Violations repeated after the season, but linked to Hajj-related offenses, will also face progressively higher penalties depending on frequency.

The regulations further state that repeated non-financial violations may lead to temporary suspension or closure of facilities during the Hajj period. A third recurrence could result in full license revocation. Authorities have emphasized a phased enforcement approach, allowing fines to be increased for repeat offenses while remaining within the maximum legal limit.

Hospitality establishments have been divided into five classifications, ranging from luxury five-star hotels to unclassified and temporary accommodations used specifically for pilgrims. Penalties are also adjusted according to business size, with micro enterprises fined at 25% of the base rate, small businesses at 50%, medium enterprises at 75%, and large establishments at 100%.

Financial penalties in Makkah and Madinah range between SAR 2,000 and SAR 14,000, alongside additional measures such as temporary closure or permanent license cancellation for repeated violations. For temporary Hajj accommodation providers, fines are significantly broader, ranging from SAR 1,000 to SAR 50,000, with enforcement actions including suspension until compliance is achieved or full revocation of operating licenses.

Source: Saudi Gazette

Saudi Railways Unveils Five Logistics Routes Linking Gulf Ports with Saudi Arabia

Published: Sunday, April 12, 2026
Saudi Railways Unveils Five Logistics Routes Linking Gulf Ports with Saudi Arabia
Top Stories

Saudi Railways (SAR) has expanded its freight operations with the introduction of five new logistics routes, further developing an integrated national transport network designed to enhance cargo efficiency across the Kingdom and beyond.

The new corridors link Arabian Gulf ports with Saudi Arabia’s central and northern regions, while also extending connectivity toward Red Sea ports and neighbouring countries to the north. By combining rail and road transport, the system is intended to improve supply chain performance and ensure smoother movement of goods across key domestic and international trade routes.

Operations are coordinated through a unified logistics framework that includes the Riyadh Dry Port, along with SAR freight facilities in Dammam, Jubail, Ras Al Khair, Al Kharj, Hail, and Qurayyat. These hubs are connected to major ports on both the Arabian Gulf and Red Sea coasts, strengthening links between industrial zones, economic centres, and global shipping networks.

The routes are designed to handle a wide variety of cargo, supporting national supply chains and key industries such as petrochemicals and mining. They are also expected to facilitate more efficient import and export flows, while improving transit options for regional markets.

According to Dr. Bashar Al-Malik, Chief Executive Officer of Saudi Railways (SAR), the initiative offers a comprehensive logistics solution aimed at improving supply chain reliability and efficiency under varying operational conditions. He highlighted that the system relies on multimodal integration and close coordination with relevant authorities to ensure seamless freight movement.

He further noted that the expanded network strengthens Saudi Arabia’s links with regional and global markets, reinforcing its strategic role as a trade corridor between East and West. This, he added, supports the Kingdom’s ambition to develop into a leading global logistics hub and a key participant in international trade flows.

The new routes are expected to serve a broad customer base, including major industrial firms, mining companies, and international shipping operators. By offering integrated transport services, the system aims to reduce delivery times and improve overall operational efficiency.

In addition, the initiative is projected to remove thousands of heavy trucks from highways, contributing to improved road safety, lower carbon emissions, and faster freight movement, further solidifying SAR’s role in Saudi Arabia’s evolving transport and logistics ecosystem.

Source: Saudi Gazette

Saudi Arabia Sees Record International Tourism Spending in 2025

Published: Sunday, April 12, 2026
Saudi Arabia Sees Record International Tourism Spending in 2025
Top Stories

Saudi Arabia recorded its highest-ever annual international tourism spending in 2025, with overseas visitors contributing SR159.9 billion to the economy. The figure marks a 4.1 percent increase from SR153.6 billion reported in 2024, reflecting steady growth in the Kingdom’s tourism sector.

The surge in visitor expenditure was mirrored in the country’s balance of payments, where the travel account posted a surplus of around SR49.4 billion for the year. This outcome highlights tourism’s expanding role in strengthening national economic performance and improving key financial indicators.

The upward trend builds on strong momentum from 2024, when international visitor spending reached SR153.6 billion. Continued investment in tourism infrastructure, destination development, and service enhancements has supported this growth, positioning the sector as a central pillar of Saudi Arabia’s economic diversification efforts.

Source: Saudi Gazette